NOTES: CHAPTER XIX
l. Interview: Jacqueline Lerat (l), Bourges, l3 May l983
2. Interview: Jacqueline Lerat (2), Bourges, l0 May l983
3. Interview: Jacqueline Lerat (3), Bourges, 3l July l985
5. Interview: Jacqueline Lerat (2), loc. cit.
8. idem. Though it is more then probable that Bernard Leach did visit
the home of François Guillaume on this occasion, the evidence to
prove it is no more than hearsay. One can be certain, however, that
he did so at a later stage, in l957 (?), when with Muriel Rose of
the British Council, Leach visited rue des Arènes. On a small
sheet of paper, Leach wrote both names, giving as an address that
of the British Council in London. This sheet still remains in the
l2. Curriculum Vitae: Henri Malvaux, Paris
l3. Interview: Jacqueline Lerat (2) loc. cit.
l4. L'Art Sacré, Revue Mensuelle, Fondé par G. Mollard, Joseph Pichard
et L. Salavin, R.R.P.P. Couturier et Régamey, O.P. directeurs,
Editions du Cerf, 29 Boulevard Latour - Maubourg, Paris 7e.
l5. 'sur Picasso et Les Conditions Actuelles de l'Art Chrétien',
in 'Art et Liberté Spirituelle' by M-A, Courturier, O.P.,
Collection L'Art et Dieu, Editions du Cerf. l958, p.43
l6. A significant passage from Claudel's letter, reproduced in L'Art
Sacré, Nos.7-8, Mars-Avril l952, p.7, is used as a preface to the
issue entitled 'Ni snobisme, ni démagogie'.
l7. ibid., p.3
l8. Billot, Marcel: 'Le Père Couturier et L'Art Sacré' in 'Paris-
Paris, l937-l957', Exhibition Catalogue Centre Georges Pompidou,
Paris 28 mai - 2 novembre l98l, pp.l96/200. The text quoted is
from an unpublished letter by Père Couturier from his archives.
l9. Jacques Maritain, quoted in Billot, loc. cit.
20. Couturier M-A, O.P., quoted in Billot, ibid., p.200
2l. Couturier, op. cit., p.45
22. ibid., p.46
23. This aspiration is contained in a note, presumed to have been made
for an unpublished article in l939, and is quoted in Billot, op.
24. Couturier, op. cit., p.50
26. Billot, loc. cit.
27. Régamey, Pie-Raymond, O.P. (l), in 'L'Art Sacré', Nos.7-8, Mars -
avril, l952, p.l4
28. Régamey, Pie - Raymond, O.P. (2), 'Voici des artistes pour
l'Eglise' in 'L'Art Sacré', Nos.5-6, janvier - février, l952, p.l4
29. Interview: Comte de Voge, Chteau du la Vererrie, Cher. France,
30. Correspondence: Mgr. Girard, Vicar General, Diocese of Bourges -
Etienne M. Guillaume, 8 avril, l987
32. 'Dates Importantes sur la Chapelle de La Borne', Archives of the
33. idem. Though born in the village in l884, Lucien Chollet had lived
in Paris since the age of two or three. An accomplished goldsmith
and jeweller, a special place had been reserved in the l925
Exhibition of Decorative Arts for an 'Epée d'Honneur' he had been
commissioned to make, and a design of his had been patented by Van
Cleef and Arpels. He spent vacations in La Borne, mostly working
in Marius Bernon's pottery. On 29 July l986, his pieces could
still be seen in his 'maison secondaire' in La Borne. The house
was then in the ownership of his nephew, Robert Chollet, a
Parisian now deceased, who spent his vacations in La Borne. One of
the pieces, a Virgin, had been awarded a Gold Medal in l959 by the
Société des Artistes Français. Though it would be tempting to see
him as having exerted some influence on François Guillaume, it is
unlikely, given his periodic visits, that such was the case. In
any event, there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that they
had ever met.
37. 'L'Art Sacré', Nos.9-l0, mai-juin (an issue devoted to 'Les
38. 'L'Art Sacré, Nos.5-6, op. cit., p.l5
39. 'L'Art Sacré', Nos.3-4, l948, p.78
4l. Interview: Abbé Bonneval, Bourges, 28 July l986
42. 'Place de l'Art Sacré dans la Céramique Française Contemporaine',
by Fr. A-M. Cocagnac, O.P. in 'Cahiers de la Céramique et des
Arts du Feu', revue trimestrelle, Société des Amis du Musée
National de Céramique, Sèvres
43. ibid., p. l70